Monday, February 06, 2006

A Perfect Super Bowl


While most of the sports media drones on and on about how the referees robbed the Seahawks of the game, I'm frolically in a fifth Super Bowl for my hometown. Hines Ward, African-Asian American Wide Receiver for the Steelers won the game MVP award. The game-breaking touchdown was tossed by ex-QB and Chicagoland product Antwaan Randle El. It was brillliant trick-play in which there was a double hand-off reverse to El that he capped off by tossing a missile to Ward.

I know some people will say, "What's the big deal that the hero was Asian American?" Just for today, let's just say that you think I'm not "color-blind" or whatever and I think you lack basic human empathy and have the discussion for another day.

To be honest, I kind of zoned in and out during the game. Baseball is my first love for sports and American football, while super-fun to play, is irritating to me for the very reason many of the zealous are complaining this morning--it's a rather subjective sport often determined by inconsistent officiating.

As usual, I missed most of the halftime show, but did tune in long enough to catch part of the Rolling Stones' performance. Matt gives a deeper analysis here, but as for me, I was kind of amused by the fact that these old guys got all dressed and made-up for this event (Jagger was wearing pants and a jacket to match one of my favorite pairs of pants). But the singing was just dreadful. While they performed their unmelodious dirge, the crowd went nuts all around the stage, in well-choreographed fashion.

I realize that there's no accounting for taste. But simulated fun just never compares to actual fun, and I was really just able to bear the proceedings for a short while by hoping that Mick would whip-it-out and all hell would break loose. No such luck though.

As the game ended, Liz and I cheered a little bit, and then I watched the post-game show to make sure that we didn't miss a moment of Grey's Anatomy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares