Thursday, October 27, 2005

Ozzie's "kids" bring a title to Chicago


Woooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Liz and I watched the White Sox bring home the city's first World Series championship in 88 year tonight. We were down at Connie's on Archer with a ton of CPD folks and a few really crazy college kids. We ran outside with the college kids into the downpour when the last out was recorded. I puddle jumped with one of the kids and they ran off in a random direction.

We saw them later as we took Halsted all the way up. At every corner in populated areas, there were clouds of people wandering into traffic and waving flags. I was on horn and raised the black fist while my Liz chanted out the passenger side.

My grandfather became a White Sox fan when he snuck into the country in the 30s. When the war ended, he went back and brought over my grandmother, who was eight and a half months pregnant with my mother. They bought an apartment building near Wrigley for $19,000 with their savings from their restaurant jobs. My mom played baseball all summer, every summer while being one of the only Sox fans in the neighborhood.

My grandfather is back in China for a few months, and he's not real computer savvy, so he probably won't hear the result for a few hours yet. My grandmother was born in 1917 and died in 2001, so she never had a chance to see them win.

As we celebrate tonight, I think about them, my mom who's having a rough year downstate, the folks I met when I did my internship at Robert Taylor, and of course all of the wonderful fans on BTF. Vince and Cheat and everyone else, you do a great job of providing words to these amazing events.

I'm sorry to go on and on about my family and our experiences, but I'm so wired right now, I just need to write it down. I imagine there are people with more interesting stories to tell and share all over this broad shouldered city. I looked around Connie's when we won and we was surrounded by the boys in blue, a table of special needs folks, the mixed table of college kids, a Desi American family, an African American family, an Asian American family, several Latino American families and some random South Side White Families with kids running around, and thought, we really are lucky to be here.

There are people running through Wrigleyville outside my window shouting now. It's been 88 years--I wonder if this will gone on for half the winter.

2 Comments:

Blogger wicwit said...

Yay White Sox!

1:09 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Awesome news, Xian!

Thanks for sharing more of yourself and your family.

I'm very happy for you!

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares