Sunday, March 25, 2007

Borat

I still haven't seen Borat, and I'm not really sure I want to. I respect Sasha Cohen's satirical skills more than her skating, but I've never been too big on laughing at others' expense.

So what if you absolutely loved the film and hyped it to your friends? What if you were at least partly to blame for every Kazakhstanian in the country having to listen to the same ignorant "clever" questions endlessly everyday? Hate telemarketers? What if the telemarketers insulted your place of birth everytime they called?

For your penance, try reading this article:
Student from Kazakhstan dispels 'Borat' myths
and definitely go see "Nomad", which is now out in theatres and features a mixed cast of Kazaks and others including one of the greatest actors in American cinematic history, Jason Scott Lee.

As many of you know, Lee quit acting to become a subsistance farmer in Volcano, Hawaii. He recently closed his home theatre (not a home theater, but an actual public playhouse on his property!!) in order to fully pursue his environmental projects.

To learn more about Lee's projects, check out his farm's homepage:
PuMu

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, this is not about Borat.

I was doing some research trying to find out more about Hmong beliefs when google brought me to your post about the Grey's Anatomy episode with the Hmong daughter and the healing ritual performed by the Shaman. I have one question that I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere in my research and was wondering if you could help. I am trying to learn about the Hmong belief of the soul(s). I read somewhere that Hmong beleive we have more than one soul and it is possilbe to lose one. Could you help me understand this better? How many souls does/can person have? How does someone lose a soul? What happens if you lose a soul? How common is this? How do you get it back? If you have time, I would love to learn more. You can email me at dena.innes@gmail.com.

Thanks so much,
Dena

3:00 PM  
Blogger 井上エイド said...

> I respect Sasha Cohen's satirical skills more
> than her skating

You're confusing two different people. Sasha Cohen
is (female) U.S. figure skater that competed
in the Olympics and many world championships.

Sacha Baron Cohen is the (male) English comedian,
satirist, and actor.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares